Thursday 18 December 2014

Finding Direction

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go. 
~Dr. Seuss~ 
Semester Half
I am halfway through the new semester… AUGH!!! I am now a second year student in the PhD programme… AUGH!!! This really lends credence to the saying that time waits for no man.

There is that period in every journey where you are not quite sure where you are going but you are putting one foot blindly in front of the other hoping that you end up at the right destination. I thought that would be during my first year of the programme and that I would start stepping into some light in the second year , or at least be a little more sure of where I am going on this journey. JOKES!!! LOL!!! Apparently I will get to the end of the journey and still not be entirely sure where I was headed.

I have realised though that the PhD is just the means to an end, and further, it is a learning experience. Through this experience I am to gather enough confidence and some experience so that I can move forward with becoming a researcher, a lecturer, and an academic writer. In addition, I am gaining experience with how to chat with other academics to build a network. Does anyone remember a time when building a network wasn’t important in every profession?

So… the progress report:
I have “completed” the literature review. If you think back (way back), I was supposed to be more sure now about what my research questions are and what my focus will be. Well I am more confident about the direction, and goodness knows I am all read up. I am almost read out in fact, but am I more sure? Feeling more focused? Do I think that the steps are falling into place? Not quite, but I do feel a little more confident, so I still think I am headed in the right direction.

Semester End
In what can only be termed a turnaround, I have gone from having no direction, or a rather uncertain direction to having several options for where I am headed. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry; actually I lie! I know exactly what to do…I need to think and narrow those several directions down to a few which are in some way connected and form a cohesive plan forward. I am excited!!! There is no denying that. I may be hiding it well from those around me but I am excited (HAHA… Tara, are you good at hiding anything?). I am excited about what I am out to discover (a la Scuttle…let’s see which of you gets that reference). Ok, enough of the riddles.

My supervisor and I had decided that in addition to my literature, it would be beneficial for me to talk to a few people in the field to put out feelers in a sense. Since that decision, I have conducted two exploratory interviews and we have since had a chat. That discussion largely entailed deciding where I could go with my research based on what both the literature and the practitioners are telling me. This step, for me, is incredible, enlightening and hopefully one in the right direction. It makes me feel less lost and more like I made the right decision to pursue this qualification.

We all learn in a variety of ways: some learn through listening, others through seeing, some through doing and many with some combination of these three. I hope I got that right or the person who taught it to me will not be amused. I feel like this a learning through doing and seeing exercise, with a whole lot of listening thrown in. I am not only learning how to be a researcher by pursuing this PhD; I am learning the steps for developing a research project and writing it up (doing). But this is not a process I am going through alone because of a number of conversations (listening) with not only my supervisor but my colleagues, other lecturers within my department and those who visit for useful seminars. I am learning from their expertise and experiences. And goodness knows I am certainly getting in a whole of reading and observing (seeing) as I go along... some days I never want to see another academic journal.

However, I think I am learning a lot more about myself in the process. I am sure that is a good thing; reflection and reflexivity are very important to growth and development. Although, I am sure, some days I really wish I didn’t have the alone time to do it, but that is another blog.


There is a review coming up in January… look forward to the blog after that. That will let you know if I really have found my direction or if I need to head right back to the drawing board.   


No comments:

Post a Comment