Tuesday 2 December 2014

A Fog of Euphoria

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. 
~Plato~ 


There are so few words that can describe how I felt after watching Wicked at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Why do we always say that? There are sooo many words I can use to express and describe how I felt before, during and after watching Wicked at the Edinburgh Playhouse; the problem is I am not sure that all of those words will be able to convey exactly how I felt.

In earlier blogs I talked about how much music means to me, but I do not think I talked about when I discovered Andrew Lloyd Webber and musical theatre pieces. My first exposure to this music was when I started vocal training in Barbados. I felt like something wild and exciting had been opened up to me. Later, a friend at school (I haven’t forgotten Janelle) lent me a CD which I never returned (shame). I couldn’t return it because I listened to it at home, and in mummy’s car and everywhere else I could and I think I hurt it … it never played the same after the overuse. In simple terms I fell in love. My brother was not amused, but for me it was a natural extension from my staple movie diet of Disney movies, Annie, The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music. Yet again, I digress. Although, I think what I wanted to say was that at home there were so few opportunities to experience this type of thing.

I remember when Broadway to Barbados first came to the Frank Collymore Hall, Barbados … I wanted to go so badly I could taste it. My mother gifted me the ticket if I remember correctly and I was on cloud nine for days after the show. I felt so fortunate, blessed and wonderful to be able to have seen it. Now this show is not a full production; on the contrary, various ex-cast members perform some of the signature pieces of the Broadway shows that they have done. If I felt this way about going to that can you even imagine how I felt to be gifted a ticket to Wicked and be walking into the Edinburgh Playhouse? I was on cloud nine before I took my seat; I felt grateful, privileged and full of anticipation.

From note one, I was blown away; at the end of the first half I was enthralled, in awe of the orchestra, singing, dancing, talent, costumes, staging, dragon :)  and by the end of the show I was simply overwhelmed. If you had to ask me to do anything for the next few hours I would have gladly done it for you, I was in what could be termed a ‘fog of euphoria’. The rack of baby back ribs afterwards was just icing on the cake (trust me, the only thing that tops an amazing experience is great food after or during that experience). I am too inexperienced to give you a critical review of the show. I also do not want to give away the plot to anyone who has not had the opportunity to see it. But that experience was for me, emotional, mind-blowing, overwhelming and humbling, in short, a dream come true. 




No comments:

Post a Comment