Sunday 18 January 2015

New Year's Greetings ... Defying Gravity

I think I'll try
Defying Gravity 
And you can't pull me down 
~ Defying Gravity from the musical Wicked~ 

It is 2015. Happy New Year to everyone!! Sometimes that sounds so trite, but I want you all to know that if it was possible to wish happiness, productivity and success into each of your lives that is what I would do for you. However, what I hope we are realising as we grow is that we cannot only rely on wishes but we have to put in the hard work, perseverance and patience (all the corny, responsible, boring stuff) to make sure we see our dreams come true. 

That wasn’t quite how I wanted to get started. New Year time usually makes you reflective and it is so cool to be able to look back over a year of blogs and see what I have done and what I have professed to learn and remind myself of some of the experiences I have had. I think my first observation is that I really need to be more consistent with my blogs; I had a total of what 18 or so last year (shame). Anyway … let’s talk about the Holiday Season…

The Highlights of My Season
Hmmm … Last Christmas was the first one away from home and I talked about all the things I missed. I didn’t talk about the beginning of new traditions though and one of the new traditions I am enjoying is my Christmas Skype calls. If there is one day you will get as many of my family members together as possible it is Christmas Day so getting a Skype Call from my granny’s and my auntie’s house where the congregations occur is always wonderful and eventful and a lovely tradition that I hope continues. I get to talk to everybody, (especially those people I wouldn’t regularly chat with but still want to see) I get to feel included and it makes me feel great to see everyone all together and note that the older traditions are still holding strong.

This Christmas however, I was thrilled to be allowed to share baby’s first Christmas with family in England. Very few of us actually remember our first Christmas but I LOVED being there to observe his first. Life is so simple when you are wee; (do you hear the Scottish sneaking in?) you get loads of presents from people you hardly remember, you enjoy the wrapping and the boxes more than you enjoy the actual presents (or so it would appear) and everything is fun as you are usually the centre of attention. Made me want to be the child on occasion, but more than that it was so wonderful to be there and be part of the reason that child was smiling so broadly and gurgling so happily.

I LOVE swings!!! How is it that I was so blissfully unaware of the number of parks around with beautiful trails, and SWINGS!!! I have been on swings three times throughout the Christmas period; twice in England (see why it is important to have children around?) and once in Scotland and each experience was brilliant!!! Swinging makes you feel so free, uninhibited, childlike and happy. I always get off of a swing with the biggest grin on my face and feeling wonderful. So I have had that experience thrice across the season and located the park nearest to me to make sure I don’t miss out on that simple and happy feeling too much.

I am hoping this joy and relaxation will carry me through the first part of the year at least. I hope that you can sit and think about the highlights of your season and smile and I look forward to re-reading more than 18 blogs at the beginning of 2016.



I couldn't resist giving you a taste of the song that is playing in my head whenever I think about being on a swing :) Have a listen to the link below... I promise it is worth it!!
Defying Gravity - Barefoot @ the Symphony

No comments:

Post a Comment