Wednesday 26 February 2014

A Balancing Act ... Part 1: Singing

Just as your car runs more smoothly and  requires less energy to go faster and farther when the wheels are in perfect alignment, you perform better when your thoughts, feelings, emotions, goals and values are in balance. 
~Brian Tracy~


How many times have you been told…all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy? I think I have said it more than I have heard it, which probably says something about me. I am seeking balance.

I am a firm believer in balance…we look for balance in choral singing where no one line of the group stands out above the other lines unless it is absolutely necessary. What we seek with the group is a blend that allows each line to add their unique melody and character to the group making the whole that much sweeter. There are some times in rehearsal when each line practices their part and individually they sound okay, good even, but when you put it all together OMG!!!! The music is amazing (my new word, especially with the correct Scottish twang).

But I am not seeking balance in the choir now; instead, I am seeking balance with me. Sure, I am pursuing this qualification but is that all there is to me? Well from previous blogs it is clear that singing is a part of me. Even my analogy speaks to how important music and singing are to my regular happiness and general existence. So I have started to watch other performers, understanding and expanding my own performances by learning from what I see and hear. I have also started listening to music that is recommended to me by others here, so that I become more accustomed to other styles and a different type of ‘folk music.’

Moreover, (another favourite word) I have joined the Chamber Choir and that is certainly a difference from what I am used to. Yes we perform some of the same music that I would have with the Cavite Chorale and other groups at home but the director is different, the skill level expected from each group member is different which then translates into the style, the strategy and the sound being different. These people pick up a sheet of music and sight read it, words  and all—yes I know this is not a challenge to some but it certainly is to me… that challenge forces me to sink or swim and do a lot of homework.

But I have drifted; I was talking about my balance. So … I am watching other performers, listening to new music and joined a new group. I am performing on my own occasionally, working on that ever challenging engaging performance. Moving from choral where you have to be so disciplined, to individual performance where you need to be very expressive so that you draw your audience in and entertain them is … I don’t know… so … how do I put it best? Right now it’s something to be done in the comfort of the shower or your home only.

But I need to be able to do this. It is vital to me not only as a performer but as a person. The ability to be comfortable and confident in any situation, let it all out and give my all in every sphere of my life is vital. I want to have my own—my own voice, my own interpretation.

This is my first step towards balance. What else do I need?   Hmmm …







1 comment:

  1. That photo says to me: "even when you feel weighted down by the pressures of your current journey, find that balance that allows you to withstand and go on..."

    ReplyDelete