Monday 8 September 2014

A different point of view ... 11th July 2014

Foreword: I figured it was time you heard a different perspective. So ... today's guest blogger is Abigail, a wonderful young woman who I met through the Cavite Chorale (The UWI - Cave Hill Campus choral group) in Barbados who recently completed her MSc. Marketing Management and Strategy at the Plymouth University who I asked to give her perspective on studying in the UK. 

"FERNWEH" (n.) An ache for distant places; the craving for travel

11th July, 2014. That was the day. After immense contemplation and deliberation, I had finally decided. That was the day I would pick up my life to begin my adventure – my year-long European journey before heading back to Barbados. You see, I absolutely LOVE England and I was willing to do whatever it took to postpone my return to Barbados. I had convinced myself that the more I postponed my departure from England, the easier the trek home would be, the less I would miss England, the faster I would re-adjust to my not-so-missed island lifestyle. Most of all, I truly believed that in the time that I waited (lagged and delayed) I would receive a clear sign as to what my future had in store for me.

Apparently, international students usually have a love-hate relationship with England. Mine though, was a love-love-more-love relationship from the very start! Within weeks of applying to Plymouth University, I was accepted for my programme. I was awarded a part scholarship from the University towards my tuition fees. I was afforded the opportunity to work with the University's accommodation team and thus earned myself free accommodation and monthly pay. Thus, I required and was quickly able to secure minimal funding for the rest of my trip within a few weeks of my acceptance. Just like that - I had it in the bag.

Plymouth is about a 5 hour drive away from London - which was the only bummer. However, it truly is a self-sufficient little city, and I rarely ever needed to make the trek to London. I really liked my programme; my flat was beyond decent and my flatmates were God sent. I didn't have many friends, but a solid few were all I needed. It was cold and rainy most days (cold and slightly sunny on others) but I adjusted quickly, grabbing the opportunity to embrace as many fancy coats and knee high boots as I could lay my hands on. This cold, grey country sucked me in and seduced me all at once.
I often indulged in long walks along the waterfront, and I stared at the gorgeous old buildings for hours. Late night movies and a bottle of wine with my flatmates were a monthly must. All-you-can-eat Chinese buffets were sinfully delicious and ridiculously affordable, not to mention the corner kebab shops especially when I had the midnight munchies. Old castles, theatre shows, the malls, the sales…the sales … the sales! The pubs (OMG ... the pubs!!), live music, summer barbeques, restaurants, clubs, parties, pre-drink before the parties…and more parties. UGH… I did not want to leave!

It was 11th July, and I waited for my flight alone at the airport. I just had to accept that I had travelled to England on a mission which I had accomplished to the best of my ability. It was time to return home. "At least you'll have the beach…", I thought to myself, wiping away the last of my tears. I just had to believe there was something bigger and better in store for me… and truly, there was. Within the first week of my return to Barbados, I was interviewed by one of the largest distribution firms on the island and shortly after was hired as a Brand Manager for a major account. A little intimidating, I'll admit, but more than enough Band-Aid for my British blues!


I miss the cold days. I've never been happier or felt more liberated than on days that I walked home by myself. Nowhere to be, no one to answer to, just me walking home alone. A chunk of my heart will forever remain in England, but I think that's a fair price to pay for that 'once in a lifetime' kinda experience. 



No comments:

Post a Comment