Wednesday 30 October 2013

Three encounters ... #1 ...You're sexy


I just got one last thing, I urge all of you, to enjoy your life, the precious moments you have. To spend each day with some laughter and some thought, to get your emotions going.
~Jim Valvano~


On a much lighter note, the next three blogs will be based on three encounters I have had since my arrival in the UK.
 
#1 - You're Sexy
On my last sojourn in the UK, I came away feeling quite unattractive or maybe that I should step up my game, largely because I have few (if any) memories of being approached by available men who I was in turn attracted to. So the decision to return was not a light one for my fragile ego… but I digress. Let’s get to the fun part of the story.
Walking back to the flat from the nearby gym, on the first and only Sunday that I attended that establishment, I heard something like a shuffle behind me and being a woman walking alone I looked around. I looked around so that I knew exactly what was going on around me and I wouldn’t be surprised when it got nearer as the noise was not that close yet. I saw a man, shuffling, dragging his feet on a Sunday morning. My quick assessment was oh it’s just a guy on his way home from a really good night of drinking. My look and assessment, in my opinion, was quite brief but having established what was going on behind me, I kept walking home.
The shuffler spoke (to my surprise). “Good morning (or was it hi?)”, and the good manners that was drummed into me and a good dose of that feeling of don’t aggravate the drunk by being rude dictated that I answer, so I replied.
“Good morning.”
“Would you like to come over to mine for a cup of tea?” Please note that I heard this question, replayed it slower in my mind to understand it and it still made no sense. But I definitely knew the answer.
 “No, thank you.”
“Can I have your number?” This conversation (was it really happening?) was getting stranger by the minute so I sped up my walk a little.
“No, I’m sorry”
During this entire episode I was trying to look as though I wasn’t worried and this was all very normal on a Sunday morning (non-threatening is the word that comes to mind, but is it a word?)
 “Okay, I think you’re sexy” he said as he walked away.
It would be remiss of me not to mention that I looked like crap in my opinion, in a big track pants and a jacket covering my sweaty gym clothes. No one could discern anything about body shape about me. But that is what he said … you’re sexy. I think I made it as far as the flat before I started to laugh, shake my head, and wonder “did that really just happen?”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment