Sunday 15 December 2013

...and some things stay the same

Distance not only gives nostalgia, but perspective, and maybe objectivity. 
~Robert Morgan~

This blog as promised is the follow up from…"Some things change" and will be my list of the things that seem to have no cultural barriers (should I even say that?) A better way to put it may be that this list will include things that remind me of home and make me feel nostalgic… lol (that wasn’t any better.)

…and some things stay the same:

  • Students! I so far generally (please note I did not say always) see more effort from the ‘foreign’ students than I do from the ‘local’ students. Doesn’t that sound familiar? When I had a conversation with a member of the Administrative staff about it she said, “Well they pay.” My first thought was I could be in the office at home sitting talking to anyone else in my own Administrative department and they would say something eerily similar if not absolutely the same.
  • Shorts! Imagine my shock to come to the UK and see girls in what can only affectionately be termed batty riders (short shorts for those of you not familiar with the term). Lol. Fashion always comes before practicality! A girl has got to look good! Granted, they are wearing tights under them (sometimes very sheer ones), but I in my naiveté could not imagine wearing shorts in this cold weather (before now … hmmmm… I am already rethinking some outfits).
  • Penguins! I almost did not believe it when I saw it but I saw a guy wearing his pants below his boxers. I really am naïve when it comes to fashion (Shakes my head) I expect to see this practice in the States; I somehow did not think that in this cold weather that anyone would want their boxers exposed to the elements that sounds like it would lead to a mighty cold butt!! But (lol) in their defence, locals are a lot more used to the weather than I am.
Honestly I am sure there are other things but right now they are not coming to mind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment